Wednesday, November 5, 2014

05 Nov 14


Subject: Transfer 15 Week 1

Well the start of another transfer!

Halloween was a blast. We were trying to decide what to do, because everyone was either at a party, with their kids trick or treating, or inside being anti Halloween. So we went reverse trick or treating. We bought some Mars bars at the store and went and passed by some people in our ward. I bought an extra pack just in case somebody said trick or treat to us. Mallari didn't think anyone would, but I had faith. As we were on our bikes, I made eye contact with this 13 year old kid who probably didn’t need any more candy but he said trick or treat. He was pretty surprised when I pulled over and gave him one. It turned out to be a miracle because one of his friends turned out to be a girl who used to come to English class that we hadn’t seen in a long time. 

It turned out to be a really good idea because it led to us talking to a lot of people who wouldn’t normally talk to us. We stopped by a really nice baker lady and gave her some candy as well. I don’t know, it wasn’t like we had any super powerful spiritual encounters with anyone on Halloween, but I feel like we did a great job planting seeds and helping people see that we're not just the only people who wear helmets while riding a bike.

This weekend was stake conference. Saturday evening they did a special fireside on dealing with anti-material. It was really really good for long-time members, but it introduced ideas that not a lot of people had heard before. We were there with our new convert, and she had actually brought up some concerns that her mom had told her in the lesson, and then they talked about it that night. I was nervous because you could tell that it was kind of an overwhelming day for her. It has a really happy ending though, because the next day we were teaching her family, and we were reading in 3 Nephi 15.  So we were reading, and we were talking about things that jumped out to us. Our new convert talked about verse 8ish that talked about prophets. She said "This verse is talking about Joseph Smith, because he was a true prophet of God." I wish I could explain the look she had on her face or the light she had in her eyes when she said that, because you could tell that she knew it was true, and she had put whatever concerns she had behind her. It was a great moment.

So getting to 3 Nephi 15. The lesson was about priesthood, and we got to the point where we were talking about how great it is to use the priesthood to serve others. I was talking about Christ's commission to the apostles after his resurrection, the "Do you love me? Feed my sheep" and I forgot how it's worded in the Bible. There isn’t a verb "to feed" and I couldn't remember how it said it. So that started everyone jumping through the scriptures trying to find it. Having an investigator trying to find a scripture for you is a pretty embarrassing thing, but it happens I guess. Anyways, we didn’t find it, but the wife had her Book of Mormon open and I asked where she was. She said she didn't know and I said "Well, lets read it." It felt good so I went for it. I opened to where she was, and read the chapter introduction: As I read that, I didn't have a clue why we were supposed to read it.

Jesus announces that the law of Moses is fulfilled in Him—The Nephites are the other sheep of whom He spoke in Jerusalem—Because of iniquity, the Lord’s people in Jerusalem do not know of the scattered sheep of Israel. 

As I read that, I didn't have a clue why we were supposed to read it. I got kind of nervous thinking "Great, now they're going to think I’m weird for having us read this chapter." So I asked everyone to think of a question before we read, and then look for the answer in the text. To be honest, my question was "Why in the world are we reading this right now?" So we read it, and I still didn't have a clue. So I asked what jumped out to everyone, hoping that someone else got something out of it. We talked about it, then the husband pointed out the last verse and into my heart jumped the feeling "This is why." I still don’t know who it touched or how, because the husband didn't explain very much, but we'll see how it goes. 

Other than that, I don’t have any good stories. Other than the fact that I was cutting my hair and screwed up so the Christian McKinnon Classic Buzzcut© is back. It's rained a lot the past few days and it's getting colder. Not much else to report there!

When I got onto my email I got really excited because I saw "48 unread messages" but then I saw that they were all pictures from Dad. Not that I don't like the pictures, I thought that I was popular. But I will say that from the pictures of Grayson's baptism, Sophie looks so so so grown up and pretty without her braces. All you girlies are pretty, but Sophie looked so old all of a sudden! Roger and Dale, you know what to do. I hope you all have a great week and CTR! I love you all!

Anziano Christian Fife McKinnon

No comments:

Post a Comment