Thursday, February 28, 2013

28 Feb 13


Hey family! Sorry this email is coming later in the day, it's been kind of crazy. We've been runnin around all over the place. We just got back from the temple (which started at 1:20) and finished at 340. We had a hair cut scheduled for 345 but we were eight minutes late cause of the temple. I'm pretty bugged at how unhelpful some of the people who work here are, but whatever. The guy let us reschedule tomorrow at 720, right in the middle of breakfast. Shout out to him for helping us out.

Ok thanks for letting me rant a little bit. My first thought I think is really cool. We started doing a thing called TRC, where people who speak Italian come in and we talk to them for half an hour. This lady named RItta talked to us, and told us that the Italians aren't going to care about our priesthood authority or anything. She said they'll just want to be our friends and not talk about church. So she told us to show them Ezekiel 37:19, which talks about the stick of Juda and the stick of Joseph coming together. The Bible is the stick of Juda, and the BoM is the stick of Joseph (1 Nephi 5:14). So the "Catholic's book" as she called it, talks about us coming in with "our book" and that is what really opened her eyes and got her converted.

A guy in our branch presidency served in Italy, married an Italian girl, and lived in Italy for years. He told us a story that he says explains an Italian's personality perfectly. His new father in law offered him wine and a cigar, and he told him he didn't smoke. So his FIL took him out into his vineyard up on a hill under a tree. Then he says to our branch dudes "Here, have a cigar now. Jesus can't see you here." I thought that was funny. He said not to be worried about being mugged or anything, because Italians are gentle people. He said to be careful about pickpockets though. He also said that so many people have nice cars that they don't really have a speed limit on the freeway. He told a story of how him and his companion were driving, going around 100mph. They went to pass a guy, and the guy sped up with them. He said the next thing he knows, his companion pulls back into the right lane and a ferarri flies by them like they weren't even moving. So cool!

I decided I want to read the Book of Mormon before I leave the MTC. I started last Friday, and am in Alma 8. It's amazing how much you can study when you have no distractions. \

So we have two "investigators" right now, our two teachers. Fratello Garvin is being a man named Fabbeo, who is based off of someone he converted in his mission. Fabbeo's wife had a dream about getting a book with the name "Mormon" on the front, and the missionaries showed up a few days later. So cool! I guess Fratello Garvin moved into Dylan's ward, so that's pretty cool.

Nothing really to report here though. Just in class all day every day, and not getting our hair cut. Sorry, i'm still a little bugged. Dad, you asked about callings. Anziano Burton is our new district leader, and i'm his senior companion. So I guess if he makes a decision I don't like, I get to over rule him because i'm the senior companion. Sweet! Just kidding though.

Letters are being dropped off right after this. Remember the ones I sent last week? They never got sent, so sorry about that. They will be on their way shortly. If someone could send me Brandon's address somehow that would be awesome. If I could get the Poulos' and Grant's that would spectacular as well. Also, how many stamps does it take to get to Mexico? I'm hearing two or three.

Dad, they have Choco Taco's here in the vending machines, so it's kind of like being at scout camp again. Oh, and M. Russell Ballard came and spoke at a devotional on Tuesday. That was awesome. I honestly believe that if the most anti LDS person in the world stood in the same room as an apostle, they would be converted instantly.

I ran into a guy wearing a "Norman Baseball" t shirt the other day. I asked him if he knew Grandma and Grandpa Fife, and he said that he used to be in their ward. His name is Elder Jensen, and says that he'd talk to Grandpa in the hall, and Granpda would tell him some super deep "Apostle like" thing that would blow him away every time.

It's getting around that Sorella McCann's grandpa is Elder Holland. I keep hearing people say how cool it would be to have him as your grandpa. I dunno though. I'd rather have my grandpas be my grandpa, and I say that with no disrespect to Elder Holland.

One thing I think is funny from reading the BoM. There are still people out there who don't think we are Christians. It blows my mind that people think that after reading 2 Nephi 25:26.
  
Well that's about all I have. Italian is really hard still. I'm spending all my time reviewing what we've learned and it's starting to click.

I love getting Brandon/Kenny/James' emails through dearelder. I'm pretty sure everyone working there hates me, but that's ok. I'm going to send home my SD card from my camera pretty soon. When you put them on my flashdrive (which I will also be sending home) can you have Beck Locey or someone show you how to do it, just cause I don't want to accidentely lose my pictures.

Well I guess that's it for this week. Halfway done with the MTC, and I couldn't be more excited. As fun as it is here, I think Italy might be a little better. Amanda, Sophie and Kate, I love you all lots. Remember no kissing any cute boys (or ugly ones for that matter), and Mom and Dad I love you both as well. Thank you for everything you do for me. Dad, i'm sorry I can't go to any games or anything with you right now. I'm kinda bummed I can't go to BYU Gonzaga with you, hopefully it's a good game. I don't have time to send home any pictures this week, but hopefully the SD card will get there soon. I love you all!

Anziano Christian Fife McKinnon

No comments:

Post a Comment