Sunday, June 23, 2013

19 Jun 13

So this week was CRAZY. And heres why:

New companion. Anziano Miller from California. Plays lacrosse for BYU and did a year in the Army before his mission. I like him a lot, hes got tons of energy and fire. Its been interesting kind of leading around for the first week. Its really not hard though. I know the bus system pretty well and the metro is cake. Anziano Miller trained Anziano Simcox, one of my roomates in the MTC. And Anziano Simcox is training now! So glad its not me. Anziano Loveitt is also training (My MTC district), but those two are the only two Anziani from my group. Other transfer news, Sorella McCann is training, and still in Como. Those are the only ones that youd probably care about so ill leave it at that. 

So our Standard of Excellence is 15+ lessons a week. Lessons only include less actives and non members, so visiting members doesnt count. The highest we have ever gotten was 11 last week. When Anziano Miller got here, we had taught 2 lessons all week. Then we taught one Thursday night. Then Friday we taught 4, Saturday we taught 4, then Sunday we taught 5! 16 lessons for the week! It was hard but it seriously felt so good. In the words of Anziano Miller "We freaking wrecked everyone!" 

Funny story. We stopped a guy on the street and he said no right away. Then he stopped and said "Do you need information?" And Anziano Miller said "Yes! If I were to take a street to the Celestial Kingdom, which one would I take?" The guy wasnt happy and kinda stormed off but I thought it was funny.

This Monday was the most devestating day ever. We had 6 lessons planned, and every single one fell through. Then almost every single back up plan fell through. We ended up still getting two lessons, but it was just a rough day. Heres the worst part. We found a guy doing Casa last week and he is SUPER elect. He said "I believe in God and Jesus Christ, but I believe that churches are corrupt." Boy do we have a message for you. So we taught him the first lesson on Saturday, and everything went perfect. He was so excited to go to Church, but said he couldnt go this past sunday because of work, but would go the next one. The we went to the second lesson on Monday and he said his wife wouldnt let him meet with his, because she didnt want the house divided in religion. I guess shes catholic. Seriously the worst feeling in the entire world. That plus all our appointments fall through made Monday pretty rought.

We had zone conference yesterday, the last one with President and Sister Wolfgramm. That was really sad, I love them so much. Its only been three months but ive learned so much from both of them. So the Dibbs will be here in one or two weeks. President Dibb actually was companions with President Wolfgramm, so thats pretty cool!

We finally got a break through with our pretty much only investigator. Hes super old and grew up in the catholic church. Hes been starting to open up with us. We just passed by his house on Monday for only five minutes, but ended up staying for 40. He mentioned going to the cemetery to see his moms tombstone, which led into the Plan of Salvation. Then we got to resurection and that hit him super hard. Hes got tons of health problems, so the idea of a perfect body really hit him. I feel like hes been interested, but doesnt want us to be right because that would mean his whole religious life would be wrong. But this finally gave him a reason to want our message to be true. I really think this will be a big breakthrough.

We do big excercise in the mornings now. We run every other day (which was rought considering im A. a volleyball player and B. I havent run in like four years) and work out inside the other days. Thats been tough getting used to, but its good.

We only speak Italian. That was a big culture shock. Grandpa Fife told me a story about him and a companion who only spoke French to each other, and they said things like "Pass me that thing" and "Its by the thing" alot. I understand grandpa. I can teach any lesson in Italian, but I cant like talk about cleaning in Italian yet. I havent really learned house hold vocabulary yet. So Im learning how to tell people how to cut my hair and stuff like that (which is an adventure cause I dont know how to do that in English).

Its starting to get HOT here. Anziano Miller and Davis had the idea of bringing a CamelBack, which was an awesome idea. They dont exist in Italy. ALl the Italians think they have health problems, but they arent dying like I am. So I think im going to buy a new backbap that isnt so huge and black if I can find a good one.

I got Audreys wedding announcement. Im really excited for them! I also got Jade Smiths letter. So cute! Tell that whole family thank you. Im in the process of writing them back, I just dont have tons of time. Plus I dont know how to send a letter in Italy. But itll come eventually!

Dad, you asked about our apartment. Normal stove, normal fridge, just pretty small and old. We have a bideau (however you spell it) and to me thats kind of a super gross concept, but whatever. Im thankful we have AC. Italians believe that AC makes you sick, so a lot of them have it but dont use it. They also believe that gelatto is good for you. I wont argue with the second one!
Thats all for this week! The power went out in the middle of our email time today so thats why im writing this so late. I love you all! Sorry if my grammar slash spelling is bad in this, every single word is underlined in red because im writing in English, so yeah. I love you!
Anziano Christian Fife McKinnon

No comments:

Post a Comment